Waterbeach Angling Club was formed
in June 1936, by a party of local anglers meeting on the river bank. Then known
as 'The Beach Angling Club', the intention was to protect local angling
interests against the big clubs from Cambridge, London and Birmingham.
Land owners were very cooperative
towards the Club and soon agreed to lease several excellent stretches of the Cam
below Bottisham locks. By 1939 membership was no longer restricted to Waterbeach
residents and had risen from 37 to a respectable 184.
Following the war, in 1948, a
further mile and a half of river above Bottisham lock was added to the fishing
available to members.
Since then, the club has maintained many of these waters and added others,
notably a stretch of the Old West with a series of adjoining 'lagoons' at
Stretham and Leland Water just off the Waterbeach to Landbeach Road
including Atkin's Water and Magpie Lake, and Hatley's Junior Pit in
The club celebrated its 50th
anniversary in 1986
and 25 years later we are celebrated our 75th
anniversary in 2011.